First, we packed up and moved back to Loomis, CA this month. I am pleased to announce that, despite many doubts, I was able to fit almost everything Michael and I own into one bedroom, saving us from having to get a storage unit. True, we did sell off our kitchen table and chairs (Which I loved) because there was no room, but I am pretty proud of myself.
I don't start my job with the state auditor until June 1st, so until then, I've been lazing about the house. I have been reading (for pleasure! A thing I didn't think I would do until much much later) a LOT, and enjoying time with the fam. My world right now pretty much revolves around this guy lately:
It is so much fun playing with him whenever I get the chance.
I haven't been completely idle, though. A couple days ago I assisted Becky with making freezer jam. It tastes amazing. Like summer in a jar.
And yesterday, my mom and I finished making this:
Due to my lack of experience, I was in charge of the ironing, the handstitching that needed to be done, and sewing on the little button in the back. I think the final product turned out pretty nice.
After doing this, my mom and I decided that we wanted to make more premie outfits for the local hospitals. Losses like this occur all-too frequently, and being able to have a beautiful outfit for your baby--and not have to worry aobut getting one--will hopefully make a difficult time a little easier. We looked online to see what was available, and not only was it prohibitively expensive (for not a lot to be honest), but shipping charges were outrageous. It made me mad to know that people were profiting off parents' grief, and I'm glad to be able to do something about it.
So, if you are talented with a sewing machine and have some time on your hands, I suggest making a few outfits yourself. I know your efforts will be most appreciated.
3 comments:
What a sweet and heartbreaking gesture. I cannot imagine the grief a mother would feel knowing her precious little one never even got to look into her mama's eyes. How lucky we are to know of the plan of salvation! When Katie and I were born and in the NICU, there was another preterm baby there with us named Timmy. He'd been born early with a serious heart defect, and with all the chaos Katie and I created for our parents, my mom never found out if Timmy had made it through as well. I often think of him and wonder if he's alive and well today.
I remember an article in the Ensign about a mother who was caring for her preterm infant in the hospital, and was given a quilt to wrap her baby in before surgery. The card attached to the quilt read, "Made with love and prayers from the Relief Society of such and such a ward." She was so overwhelmed with love and appreciation for the sisters who'd provided a little comfort for her and her baby in their distress. What a good missionary tool you have going on! Maybe with each dress you make, you can include a card with your testimony of the gospel to comfort the parents who receive your dress.
What good women the Taylor family has! I feel so lucky to be a part of it. :)
That was a very sweet thing of you and your mother to do. As someone expecting a child soon I can't even imagine how I would begin to cope with that if it were to happen to me (God forbid). Everyday I pray that all will turn out alright. Like Megan I too am privilaged to be part of such a charitable family.
To add to what Megan said, I love how our church is so involved in helping others. We have everyone so involved in doing Humanitarian work, or helping out when a loved one is lost, when someone in the family is having medical problems, weddings, births, etc. On my mission in Armenia we would help pass out wheelchairs to people that needed them but couldn't afford to buy them. One mother in particular was so grateful that she no longer had to carry her handicapped daughter everywhere everytime they went somewhere. I feel blessed to belong to three wonderful families: The Brintons, The Taylors, and a member of our church.
I have to add that I was one of the skeptical people who did not think it would be possible to fit the whole truckload of stuff into one bedroom, but the miracle has happened (and with only a few things being offloaded elsewhere.)
Post a Comment